A SPECIAL "ANGEL" DOG STORY!!


I wrote this story several years ago when my husband was still alive.  I post it now as it seems to me it might bring a smile to my daughter, other family members, and friends whose dogs are "special friends" to them. Actual members of their family. 

SPECIAL FRIEND

Special guest appearance by Toby who is now an
angel dog in Heaven 2/20/08-11/4/19

A few years ago my husband and I were visiting our daughter in Bend, Oregon.  She also has a cabin at Summer Lake, Oregon, which sits out in “no man’s land” with a salt lake in front of it, and the mountains behind it.   The rest is basically wide open spaces.   So we decided make a trip to see her cabin for the first time.  Our daughter is a writer, and into arts and crafts, so this place is a “get-away” place for her where she can have peace and quiet in order to focus on her writing, etc..

She is also into mountain climbing, hiking and many other outdoor events.  We decided to stay close by her cabin overnight in a motel (which also sat in “no man’s land”) so my husband and she could spend some quality time together. They were going hiking, which is something I can’t do with chronic back problems. 

So, I decided to stay at the motel and just let them have their time together.  I have to admit I was feeling a little “left behind” and sorry for myself.  But, since this place where we were staying had a nice pond, I thought I would take a chair and a good book and sit out by the pond where I could listen and look at the wildlife - ducks, birds, etc. and the beauty of the mountains behind the pond. 

All at once I had the feeling I was not alone.  So I looked around me, and there lay the most beautiful white dog I had ever seen!  He was just looking at me as if to say, “Well, what can we do together that would be fun?”  I spoke to him, but he didn’t respond, so I went back to my reading. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see that he was moving around, so I kept watching him as best I could without disturbing him.  He had found a stick about a foot long, which he carried in his mouth.  He would come a few steps towards me, then lay down and look at me.  I sat still, and he continued to do this until he was close enough that I could reach the stick.

So, I turned to him and asked, “Do you want me to throw the stick so you can ‘fetch it?’ ”  (I did know enough about dogs to know this is a game they sometimes enjoy.) He just lay there, so I reached down, took the stick and threw it as far as I could out to the side of me.  He retrieved it, and proceeded to do his same routine - take a few steps towards me, lay down, a few more steps, then lay down - never taking his eyes off me.

Well, we had quite a “one sided” conversation as we played his game for a while.  But, I noticed that once in a while, he would look towards the pond and even take a few steps towards the pond, and then back close to me.  But, not having much experience with dogs, I was very slow to catch on, I guess.  I didn’t understand “dog language.”

Finally, he took the stick in his mouth, walked out into the pond a little ways, then came back to me, and laid the stick at my feet.

I said, “Are you asking me to throw the stick into the pond?”  Of course I received no answer - and I can’t read a dog’s eyes.  (smile!)  But, I decided to try this, and gave the stick a long throw out into the pond.  Before the stick left my hand he had run and jumped into the pond and retrieved it, brought it back to me and laid it at my feet……looked up at me as if to say, “Again, please. This is so much fun!” 

So, for about an hour I had myself a really good time playing “throw and fetch” with this beautiful dog.  When I finally tired and needed to go back to my room, he acted like he was losing his best friend.

I have no idea where the dog came from, or why.  I only know that “Someone” knew I was lonely and sent me a friend to share some time with while my husband was away.

I wanted my husband to see my “new friend” so he wouldn’t think I had completely lost it, but the beautiful white dog never showed up again while we were there.

“How do I explain what happened you ask?"  Well, all I know is, I was in need of companionship at that time - someone who didn’t even have to talk to me - just be there to spend some time with me to help fill the hours while my husband was gone.  And, this “special dog” showed up at the needed time.

When I tell this story, I call him my “Angel dog!”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Written by:  Alice Ervin - Dayton, Ohio


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Who is this person?" you ask? Let me introduce myself......

SPRING STORM SEASON IS HERE!!

A HAUNTED HOUSE.....SCARED ME TO "LIFE?"